Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013: An Update

Good eve, folks. I thought I would drop in and give a quick recap of my progress thus far in 2013. Translation: In an attempt to be "better" this year, I gave up my phone for the day. Translation: I left my phone on the counter this morning (because it was frigid and dark and that made me delirious) and, upon realizing I was without it, decided to take the day off from said phone. David is very happy about this because apparently I am "addicted." But it's not like he's a doctor or anything.

With that said, at least 14 times today, I habitually reached for my phone on my desk, which was not there. Yes, I grabbed at air - finding nothing - too many times to count today. I can't say I'm proud of it, what I can say is that I've discovered the answer to the age old question: If someone eats an amazing lunch and there's no phone around to Instagram it, does the lunch really happen? Sorry, but the answer is no.

Now I'm getting off track obviously fantasizing about my phone, but I just meant to say I think I'm blogging tonight because I'm not stalking your New Year's Eve photos on Instagram.

Update on other goals: 
-This being my second post in a week, I'd say we're OK in the "blog more" department - just have to keep it up.
-At the grocery store this evening, I reached into my purse for my wallet and pulled out a tupperware container. A ways to go on the clean purse thing.
-I have yet to join a gym but I got two new flyers today with New Year's specials - motivation, motivation! I think I'll visit a couple places on Saturday.
-My Christmas decorations are still up and there are piles of clean laundry on the stairs. Miles to go before we sleep on the clean house thing.
-Some 2013 travel is in the works: Miami? NYC weekend? Vegas? A REAL vacay? Stay tuned.
-Girl time plans are on the books for Jan, Feb, possibly March, and with two bachelorette parties this year, I'm sure there will be lots of lady time!
-Everything else is TBD - but a confident TBD.

Other than my C+ resolution marks, 2013 has been pretty swell thus far. New Year's Eve was super fun - full of yummy food, friends (yummy friends?), craft beer and a righteous hangover the next day. Talk about starting the year off on the right foot! Work has been insanely busy catching up and gearing up for what looks like another productive and rewarding year! I also got my first-ever bonus which I chalk as a major blessing and career milestone! How wonderful it is to work for a real company!

I don't think I mentioned in my last post just how grateful I am for the passing year and the possibilities ahead of us. It hasn't always been the easiest road, but it's so rewarding to see commitment, loyalty, hard word, kindness, faith, love, pay off. To go through even the shortest stretch of the road and feel, wholeheartedly, Yes, this is right. We are getting somewhere. It's not just professionally, either. It's in our marriage - discovering those things we've promised to "work on" over the last six years really have improved, to see that we're learning to communicate, to listen, to learn from one another - but it's also in our relationships with family and friends and the world around us. To feel completely supported and uplifted by our net, hopeful for the future, is so liberating - and often brings on tears of joy.

I am rambling uncontrollably and realizing "LESS RAMBLING" should have made the Top 5 of my New Year's Resolutions. So I'll make a quit exit and since I'm feeling inspired tonight, I'll leave you with the immortal words of Dicky Fox, Jerry McGuire's mentor:

"Hey, I don't have all the answers. To be honest, in life, I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success."
  
 xo, l 

No comments: